May 20, 2008

Is that a huge bee? Or what?

While having that first cup of morning Joe today, I saw what I thought to be the biggest bumble bee I've ever seen! I admit I was not fully awake; it takes more than a sip or smell of coffee to get me going in the a.m.

I looked out of the kitchen window and there it was a big, black insect type butt hovering over the white carnation grass that grows so beautifully below the back deck. Or, what I thought was an insect butt.

The entirety of my morning visitor was hidden beyond the deck boards, except it's back side. Oh, and I have to say the eyes are older than they used to be, not to mention the size of the cobs webs wrapped around my brain early in the morning.
Well, it only took a second and the huge bee like "insect" became clearer! Yes, it was the first humming bird I've seen this season. I was so excited!

I have been eagerly awaiting their arrival, as I'm sure many people have. The colors, flight and personalities of these feathered jewels are amazing!
I filled the feeder and I'm waiting for the birds to decide that they like it maybe as much as the bright flowers growing around our home.


This is a colored pencil drawing of a hummingbird in purple by me. I like to draw in graphite and now am experimenting with colored pencil. Here is Flower with butterfly that I've done in graphite; this is an early piece.


No comments: